The EDP Foundation has the most important national archive on the history of electricity in Portugal. A collection comprised of more than 180 thousand documents, from the end of the 19th century to the present day. The oldest documents date back to 1856 and are from the Companhia Lisbonense de Iluminação a Gaz (Lisbon Gas Lighting Company).
The EDP Foundation’s Documentation Centre develops initiatives for the collection, organisation, description, communication, conservation and dissemination of documentation of historic interest that makes up archive resources and collections.
While developing its own research, the centre also supports external research. It maintains a relationship with other national archives with the same theme, particularly living archives of the EDP group and other entities that own electric heritage.
The Documentation Centre has a reading room and regulations concerning services, consultation and loans. All registered documents, as well as most of the photographic collections in digital format, can be consulted online.